The combined history of Salt and Light (formally New Spirit Community Church and Grace Christian Fellowship) spans 166 years of ministry and service to the Southwest Philadelphia community.
1854 – The Presbytery of Philadelphia approves the establishment of Westminster Presbyterian Church at Broad and Fitzwater.
1858 – Abby and William C. Longstreth founded The Greenway Sabbath School to teach and nurture the children of Southwest Philadelphia. When the neighborhood realized the need for an established church, Rev. Henry E. Thomas became the first pastor of the Greenway Presbyterian Church which merged with Westminster in 1906.
1822 – The Associate Reformed Church merged with the PCUSA. The Second Associate Reformed Church became part of the Second Presbytery of Philadelphia, and was renamed Ninth Presbyterian.
1841 – Ninth members dedicated a new building at the corner of Sixteenth and Sansom where it remained until 1911 when it relocated to Fifty-Seventh Street and Washington Avenue.
1996 – Ninth Presbyterian and Westminster Presbyterian merge and become New Spirit Presbyterian Church housed in the Westminster building.
2005 – Rev. Cean and Kesha James begin a bible study in their home which eventually becomes Grace Christian Fellowship. The church chooses Southwest Philadelphia as its mission field and begins worshiping at Williams and Palmer Funeral home (71st and Woodland Ave.)
2006 – GCF purchases a church home from the Archdioceses of Philadelphia at 6208 Grays Ave.
2012 – GCF launches a satellite location in the Mt. Airy section of Philadelphia. GCF also officially unites with the United Church of Christ
2014 – Wayne Presbyterian Churches assumes responsibility for New Spirit’s Church building and through an extensive capital campaign, rehabes the building and establishes The Common Place as a child and family focused nonprofit in SW Philadelphia. Rev. Christopher Holland is called as pastor of New Spirit while Rev. Aisha Brooks-Lytle serves as organizing pastor of TCP.
2016 – GCF and NSCC begin to share ministry with joint Vacation Bible School and Resurrection Day worship services.
2018 – Revs. James, Holland, and Brooks-Lytle begin to explore the possibility of GCF and NSCC merging their ministries and being planted at TCP.
2020 – In the middle of a worldwide pandemic, GCF and NSCC merge to form Salt & Light; a 600 member congregation worshiping in two locations, that is PCUSA and UCC. Rev. James as Senior Pastor and Rev. Holland as Executive Pastor.